Know your destination
- Check on weather and other events in the area
- Check the exchange rates, money management and ATM fees
- Read up on local laws and requirements
- Learn about local customs
Research health requirements
- Research if vaccinations are required.
- Renew medications/prescriptions to ensure you have enough while on the trip.
- Purchase travel insurance.
- Schedule a vaccination, if necessary.
- Pack Passport/ID
- If required, pack Visa
- Include documented proof of vaccinations
- Include the necessary documents for proof of custody if traveling alone with a child
- Make a copy of travel insurance documents
- Store in purse or wallet: money/debit/credit cards
- Find the location of the nearest US embassy
- Create a copy of medical documents
- Create copies of all extra, necessary documents
- Download digital files
Arrange plans to secure your house
- Have mail delivery temporarily delayed
- Notify family members/neighbors of travel plans
- Ensure doors are locked, and any security systems are functioning properly
- Arrange care/boarding for pets
Pack your suitcase
Here is a list of personal items to pack when leaving for an international trip.
- Clothes = business/casual/workout/formal
- Toiletries = hair products/dental products/hygiene products
- Health = vitamins/medications/prescriptions
- Glasses = sunglasses/prescription glasses/contact solution/cases
- Technology = laptops/phones/headsets/chargers